Thursday 8 April 2010

Spring Mash-Ups Galore

Has spring got you in the mood for dancing? I thought so.


And what time is it? Yes, it's SPRING MASH-UPS GALORE time!!!


(Too many capitalisations, exclamation marks and not getting out of the house due to revision makes Jenna go insane in the membrane)


Here's your mash-up fix:


Santana ft Rob Thomas v Lady Gaga v Van Halen: Smooth Romance -Dan Mei/Marc Johnce:

(‘Smooth’, ‘Bad Romance’ and ‘Jump’)



No. Friggin’. Way. That’s not possible.


Well it is, and hot hot hot it is. Grab your salsa shoes boi, we’re gonna dance until the Cuban sun rises. It works really well; the rhythm, the blend, the general sexiness of it all. Even the Van Halen section works. Go check it out. Now.


Blondie v Lily Allen: Fuck Blondie – DJ Clive$ter:

(‘Heart of Glass’ and ‘Fuck You’)



When I first heard this mash-up I couldn’t stop laughing. Perhaps it was the title of the mash-up, me being childish et al, but it was probably the transformation of ‘Heart of Glass’, a song which I’ve always associated with cool New York discotheques, to a poptastic and very cute record thanks to Miss Allen, oh yeah, and the DJ of course. Very much enjoyed it. Hope you do too.


And still on the Blondie theme (I’m sorry, I’m a little obsessed with her at the moment)…


Blondie v Muse: Call Me Uprising – CjR Mix:

(‘Call Me’ and ‘Uprising’)



‘Epic’ is the only word which is fit to describe this amazing mash-up. Marks awarded to how easily these two great songs are blended together, my favourite section of the mash-up being 2:10 – listen, you’ll see why. I’ve even gone so far in saying that the mash-up is better than the originals…


Kraftwerk v Wynter Gordon – DJ Schmolli:

(‘The Model’ and ‘Dirty Talk’)



Who would have thought it? A mash-up of BDSM-ridden lyrics and German electronic synthpop. The age we live in, huh? I really enjoyed this. A sinister mix if you compare it to the original ‘Dirty Talk’ produced by David Guetta.


Editors v R.E.M.: Papillon the One I love – Dan Mei:

(‘Papillon’ and ‘The One I Love’)



Unexpected, but totally works. Thanks to Dan Mei, the Editors have breathed new life into R.E.M.’s 20-year-old hit, transforming it into an indie-night anthem.


(Andy doesn’t agree that the Editors now sound like something from an 80s dystopian movie, but hey…we’re still debating on that one.)


Hot Chip v Genesis: I Can’t Stand’ – Marc Johnce:

(‘One Life Stand’ and ‘I Can’t Dance’)



Again, another clever mash-up – it has given me the opportunity to dance to Genesis without feeling one bit ashamed. Oh, and if you haven’t listened to Hot Chip’s new album, you’re missing out.


Right, one more mash-up to go…saving the best for last…



CjR Mix – Eye of the King Fu Street Groove:



You want 80s? I’ll give you the 80s, hand-delivered. In this mash-up, we have…


Break Machine – ‘Street Dance’
Madonna – ‘Into the Groove’
Carl Douglas – ‘Kung Fu Fighting’
Survivor – ‘Eye of the Tiger’
excerpts from the classic Bruce Lee movie - 'Enter the Dragon'


Absolutely a-ma-zing. Think Karate Kid. Think New Years Eve party, ushering in 1985. You’ll love it. I’ll even guarantee you’ll love it.



Ok, that’s enough mash-ups for Spring.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nothing in the chops or below the belt, yeah?